[an error occurred while processing this directive]
A job applicant looking forward to pursue a career in the information technology sector has to first prepare an IT resume that describes his skills and area of expertise in an appropriate manner. The basic purpose behind the writing and drafting of a resume during a job application process by the applicant is to bring to the knowledge of the recruiter, his quality by giving a total description of his personal, professional and academic spears. So it is important to construct the resume in a manner so that it really catches the attention of the recruiter at the first look. But applicants must know that IT is a very huge and highly dynamic sector where a lot of applicants apply on an average in a given period of time, so writing the resume in an ordinary manner following the conventional rules and guidelines in simply not enough to catch the attention of the employer.
Believe it or not, a majority of applicants get rejected in the first round itself as their resumes don't possess the spark as they use the same clinched formula in resume writing making their resume look identical to each other even though they possess good expertise and skill sets for working in the field. In such a case being the best in quality is just not enough for making things work and one must also know how to sell themselves in the market by displaying their assets and credentials in the right fashion. Recruiters want to see the total package that a candidate holds in an entertaining way and for doing so one need to make an outstanding presentation of themselves through their resumes. This can be achieved by thinking out of the box while writing the resume and write it in a manner that reflects the applicant's creative and innovative side.
As told earlier IT is a highly dynamic, incredibly huge, and rapidly flourishing sector that incorporates within itself a large number of employees. It is easy to understand why this is so as applicants applying for positions in this field know that IT or Information Technology sector basically deals with development of computer software, hardware, and the internet, with the help of which an unimaginable number of work and activities are performed in the modern world. So an applicant applying in a particular field in the sector must prepare their resumes in such a fashion that matches up with the standards of the field. By understanding the field of Information Technology, its nature, and what it deals, here are a set of instructions that one must follow while writing their resume to make a remarkable entry into the field as an employee.
Tips for writing better IT Resume
- Understand the Field: For writing an IT resume you must first understand the field of information technology and what it seeks from employees. There are several areas and posts in the IT sector where applicants can apply for and they should make it a point to see that the requirements of the field match with their expertise. Better understanding of the field of work will help you to write a better IT resume.
- Look from recruiter's point of view: You must engage the recruiter in knowing more about you. In order to do that you must inculcate the recruiter to go through your full resume. It's interesting to know that the recruiter will decide within a few moments after opening your resume, whether to go through your whole resume or not. So you must think from the recruiter's point of view and think what the recruiter wishes to see after opening the resume. The opening of the resume is the most important part and it should be catchy and persuasive.
- Mention your objective: You must mention your objective clearly stating what you are looking forward to learn and experience by applying for the particular position. You can also state how you will be a positive asset for the firm and how by using the skills and knowledge you will prove to be successful both for yourself and the firm.
- Capitalize on your assets: You must highlight your assets and capitalize on the skills and the knowledge you possess in the field. Give proper explanation of all the technical, personal, and professional skills you own that will be advantageous for better work operations.
- Highlight your achievements: Highlighting the achievements is a bonus point for you and will help the recruiter realize the potentiality and capability that rests within you.
- Tell your story: You must tell your story in the right way where you can express more about yourself using the least amount of space. Giving a detailed description of your professional endeavors in the past, with the responsibilities performed in each position will help the recruiter understand your area of expertise. While writing the professional experience section you must follow a chronological pattern it is recommended to write the duties and responsibilities performed in points to make it look brief and apt. You should mention about the things that is relevant to the post and will be fruitful for your work. Also tell about your personal niches, hobbies, and things you are interested in.
- Be professional: You are allowed to be creative and show your talents but you must mention all these maintaining a professional tone. You should write the resume in an official tone because resumes are official document ergo there is no space for in-formalism.
- Indulge in better writing: You must use proper language that is easy to read and interpretable. Technical details must be written in such manner that it is understandable even by a person who is weak in the technical field. Formatting of the resume is of grave importance and you should select a proper format following which you will construct your resume. Make sure that your resume is not too lengthy and use bulleted points wherever necessary. It should be intact and crisp with absolutely no spelling and grammatical errors.
By following the above tips you can surely design an IT resume that will be appropriate for the job application and will surely get a thumbs-up from the recruiter.
Sample IT Resumes
Some other types of IT resumes are below:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]